President Bush has just announced the United States’ new Iraq strategy. It looks very promising.
- Over 20,000 additional troops will be sent in.
- Since 80% of the sectarian violence in Iraq is occuring within a 30 mile radius of Bagdhad (did you know that?) that area will get special attention.
- Iran and to a lesser extent, Syria have been singled out as fueling the violence: “Iran has been cultivating influence in Iraq through all means atits disposal.”
- The aim will beto “achieve a functioning democracy that polices its territory, upholds the rule of law, respects fundamental human liberties, and answers to its people,”
- The plan identifies that, due to insufficient security Iraqis have been turning to “self-help” – which I presume includes local militias.
- The new plan is also looking at improving the Iraqi economy and providing jobs for the citizens. I’d like to see more details about this. It would be a bad move to foster a “hand-out” mentality, but I have no evidence at this stage that this would happen.
Thanks goodness the idiotic Iraq Study Group proposal has been completely side-stepped.
Once again Mr Bushdemonstrates his fundamentalhonesty -looking at the facts and acting on them. And his commitment to American securityand worldwide freedom.
He’s a good man and an excellent President.